Friday, July 13, 2012

Story Time

There's something about holding a picture book in my hands that slows down time. Growing up, I judged books not by their covers, but by their pictures inside. My criteria was simple. If the text didn't interfere with the pictures, I kept it by my side. If there was just too much text, I tossed it. One author in particular stole my heart - and that was Tomie dePaola. I remember leaning against the side of my bed before going to sleep and just turning the pages of his books - captivated by all the rich colors, shapes, and simplicity of his art. I didn't even have to read his book to understand what was going on because the story was told through his illustrations. To this day, I'm still the same. 

I spend most of weekdays scrolling through blogs getting to "the good stuff" (pictures) and looking at photography online - the ones that tell stories. I yearn to be like "those story telling photographers" one day. But looking at the images online and scrolling up and down doesn't completely satisfy me. Holding the images in my hand and turning the pages slowly from one image to the next is where I get lost in my own world. There's just something about  picture books. 

Thank God for Kinfolk. A true work of art to lose myself in. Without the hassle of scrolling and looking at a screen all day.




No comments:

Post a Comment