Tuesday, May 1, 2012

From 50mm to Macro


I just added a new lens to my collection - the 50mm f/1.4G lens! Excuse my drooling! Of course Anthony and I waited impatiently by the door all day for the package to arrive...and when it finally did, playtime commenced! As we slowly ripped opened the package, we could hear the angel's singing "hallelujah" loudly! 

Snap here. Snap there. Snap everywhere! Later in the evening, I came across a convenient tutorial from one of my favorite photographer's blog, Imaginale Design. She talked about turning your 50mm lens into a macro. I jumped to my camera and followed her tutorial. Anthony was definitely nervous. God forbid I break my new lens the first day we got it. So as Anthony held his breath and looked away, I snapped these shots of my flowers (as seen above). 



Though they may not be in focus, I still think they look awesome! What a fun trick. If you decide to try this, be VERY CAREFUL! Ultimately, these prints will probably be the equivalent of an Anne Geddes' print for my bathroom...nice to know my work has some sort of value.

How to (as taken from Imaginale Design): 
1. Take your 50mm lens
2. Turn it around so that the lens is facing the camera and the back of the lens is facing your subject
***HOLD ONTO THE LENS AS YOU SHOOT!!
3. And voila! 


6 comments:

  1. Dude, just use tape! ;-) Very cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. I might just have to hire you as my assistant, haha! ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures. If these were just a trial run, can't wait to see more pictures using this technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mutty. I'll have 9 months without my little partner worrying behind my neck that I might break it. :P Just kidding, Anthony <3

      Delete
  3. Those pictures are amazing! You two always find the best camera games to play! Can you take laser light pictures with a modified macro lens?? (Oh the memories!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ! Stephen, speaking of light pictures - Anthony and I read a really cool article about more ideas & techniques for light photography. MUST TRY when you visit! :)

      Delete