Friday, April 20, 2012

Branding

This is where things get a little tricky. I've been reading so much about owning a small business, specifically a photography business. DO's & DON'Ts. And to be honest, it's a little overwhelming! One thing remains constant, however, and that is how you brand your business.


Some advice I've come across is "find your style..." or "find your true self..." (which was always too vague for me - I would just think to myself, "uhh..I'm right here..") But last night I had an "ah-ha" moment at 2:00am (I thought all nighters were only a college habit for me?!) and everything made sense. I stumbled upon Promise Tangeman's blog and found this little gem.


Credit: Promise Tangeman

Now, you may be thinking - that's all wrong! But allow me to quote her:


"Do you ever have that feeling in your gut of just exactly how something SHOULD be? Let’s use a photographer as an example. You know that moment when you are shooting the same subject with another photographer and you think, “That needs to be shot from here, at this angle, with this setting.” Or that feeling of, “This is what I would do if I were in that situation.” That may sound arrogant, but it’s not….that is your STYLE talking. You may not be able to see your own style for a while, but the more you shoot, create, make, and design, the more your style will be revealed over time. Soon others will be able to recognize your style too. Or they may even be the first to notice! create, create, create, and then look back to see how you have evolved and developed as an artist. And your style will be shining bright." 

That's happened to me so many times - it just never clicked that it would be considered "my style." I've been limiting myself to what I found on Pinterest or other sites. So, this weekend I will be stepping away from my computer and shooting pictures, figuring out how I want to compose the shot, bringing out the good ol' pen and paper, and designing how I want to brand my business. Come Monday, I'll put it all together in Photoshop and make it work (and if I can't figure it out, I'll find a way). Stay tuned because you may just see something totally different on my blog. ;)  But before I can be that ambitious, I have to finish the laundry and walk Molly. Until then, have a GREAT weekend! 


6 comments:

  1. Wifely duties do get in the way sometimes, don't they ;-).

    I like what Promise said about style. Makes sense. Even for non-photographers, our own style shines through on a daily basis. The more someone knows us, the more easily recognizeable we are as individuals. I can associate different personalities, hobbies, colors, celebrity crushes, etc. with different friends. I guess you could interchange the word "style" with "character." It's just who you are. And in my opinion, I prefer being "Nicole" as opposed to "one in the crowd." The world would be bland if everyone tried to be exactly alike. But it does take time--it takes 10 awkward years (give or take a few) of puberty to truly find out who you are. It's kind of fun to look back on life and see how I've evolved. That's pretty much what Promise was saying about looking back at your photography. It's fun. I can't wait to see how you develop as a photographer, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, Nicole, you are absolutely right! Darn those wifely duties!

      And definitely, "style" and "character" are certainly interchangeable, hadn't thought of that. Kind of makes things easier, too.

      I really appreciate your support, Nicole! It means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... Someone seems to have forgotten 1) unpacking the house, 2) calling the movers to pick up the boxes, 3) and finding excuses to renege on Benmanda plans. Nice try, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But seriously, we'll go shooting this weekend. Molly's ready for her close-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow small business owner (though your small business is for more legitimate than mine...) it is very refreshing to hear this! We face our own flavor of hurdles in the baking game, but I am experiencing something very similar to what you are describing. But I think you have a wonderful attitude towards this challenge! From what you've shot already, I think the world is starting to notice your obvious talent!

    ReplyDelete