Tuesday, October 30, 2012

McAllen, Texas

The City of Palms, as it likes to introduce itself. McAllen, where everyone knows what an elote is. What chanclas are. Raspas and chamoyadas are mid-afternoon snacks. Charro beans are the perfect midnight snack. McAllen, where it's acceptable to mix in a little English with your Spanish. Not Spanglish. "No, pos" something better. It's called Tex-Mex. Tejano music blares from the car behind you. And car horns honk to La Cucaracha. "Only in the Valley," as we often say.

It's not until I leave McAllen, my hometown, when I truly appreciate everything it has to offer. And how much it has influenced who I am today. The people, especially. We're one of a kind. La Raza. 
















Taken Downtown - McAllen, Texas

7 comments:

  1. Aww, such a lovely post Lisa. Yes, it's too easy to dismiss the RGV, but then you stop to think about what the valley has to offer us. And of course the pictures were beautiful...they romanticize McAllen and make its special-ness appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you very much!

      You are exactly right. Its uniqueness all too often is overlooked. It truly is a special place.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the process of writing my personal statement for law school, and I have to tell you this post has given me that last little jolt of inspiration I needed. Gracias :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW Kathleen! <3

      I'm so glad I could help out a little! Hope you're doing well. And all the best with your law school endeavors! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Welcome back home....even if it's just for a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH yes there's something about the valley. Our home. Our raza. Love the pictures. Also, pretty sure I've been to that food stand.

    ReplyDelete